When I heard about the Dark Chocolate Vegetarian protein shakes I just could not wait to try them. I have tried and tried and tried many a vegetarian protein and meal replacement shake and almost all of them make me gag. I know they are good for me and a good source of plant protein but omg...most of them are uh...well kinda nasty. I can't quite place my finger on what the funk comes from but its hard to gag them down. So, needless to say I didn't have that high of hopes for this version. But...I decided to give it a whirl...if nothing else I knew it would be great to make some balls with!
The first time I had the shake I shook it up in my blender bottle with some water. Although this is great for the regular MRS shakes...the Dark choc does not get justice this way. I'm a big believer that everyone and everything should get a second chance to make a first impression. So, I did not give up on the DCMRS soul!
I made some balls and they were wonderful. A few days later I decided to tackle the shake again. This time I put in the old Blentec with water and ice. Oh yum! this was the ticket. The plant protein doesn't thicken up much like whey protein and I like that. I tend to like my shakes on the thin side so this was awesome. It has a dark rich chocolate flavor that is just amazing. I was in love!
I decided to really play around with the shake and have now finished the whole box and will be opening a brand new box tomorrow. I have come up with some delectable flavor combinations, to me its just as versatile as a vanilla! Be creative, my friends.
Add in ideas (with added foods, note will add calories of course)
- Add 1/2- 1 banana and some PB2 (this will make it thick and creamy option: freeze the banana first)
- Add 2 cuties (or mandarins) plus the zest
- Add 1/2 cup mixed frozen berries
- Add 1/2 cup fresh pineapple
- Add 2 Tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- Add 2 Tbsp PB2
- Add 1-2 Tbsp almonds or almond butter
Add in ideas (no added calories- perfect for 24 Day Challenge or Lean in 13)
- Cinnamon (vietnamese cinnamon is best find it here)
- Orange zest plus ginger
- Cinnamon and Cayenne (heat it up and perfect aztec hot chocolate!)
- Fresh Mint leaves or a few drops mint oil
- Grapefruit zest
- Mandarin zest
- Mix with Berry Shake and split with a friend-Chocolate covered strawberry! yum
The possiblities are endless and your imagination is the limit! Go out and be delcious, my friends!!